Skip to main content
Guildford Flames
our twitterour facebook page youtubeinstagram

January 12th v Belfast Giants - League

Flames bagged a couple of early goals then added a pair of late empty netters Sunday night to seal the lid on a 4-1 home ice win over the visiting Belfast Giants. 

Spectrum’s men put an early powerplay to good use when Jesse Craige wired a high one from the top of the circles at 5:12.  During a stretch of 4 on 4 play that followed in the 10th minute, Ben Davies doubled the difference when his close range wrister beat Shane Owen for the last of the scoring through the opening frame. 

A little over 2 minutes into the 2nd, Giants cut the deficit in half with a Brian Ward strike and that is the way things stood when the teams lined up to start the final set. 

The bulk of the 3rd period also went with no scoring until Giants worked to tie it late with their net empty, but the plan failed when Ian Watters took the zone escape feed and made the empty net deposit from mid ice to expand the lead a little over 2 minutes from time, followed shortly thereafter by a Jamie Crooks marker 20 seconds from close.    

“It’s a great relief to put one in the win column on home ice for the first time in a few games,” admitted Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We really came out strong in the first period, and we were fortunate to be rewarded with a couple of early goals which allowed us to play with a lead.”

“I thought overall it was a pretty good game and we generated a good number of chances so we feel good that we were able to hold tight enough at the back to make sure the 2 goals before the empty netters were enough to take us to a win, and 3 out of 4 weekend points.” 

Add to favorites

Guildford Spectrum
Parkway, Guildford
Surrey GU1 1UP

Tel: 01483 452244

Sportfact Ltd t/a Guildford Flames Ice Hockey Club registered in England number 2936656
Privacy Policy

Site Powered By
eDirectHost Website Builder

By continuing to use this site you agree to our Cookies Policy.