Skip to main content
Guildford Flames
our twitterour facebook page youtubeinstagram

January 23rd v Belfast Giants - League




A pair of unanswered 2nd period goals by Belfast Giants then an extender and an empty net goal inside the final 70 seconds was more than enough to overcome an early Flames lead while handing the home side a 4-1 defeat. 

Flames opened the scoring at 13:53 with a Levi Cable strike and they hung on to the lead through 20 minutes. 

While on a powerplay, at 25:34, Giants levelled thank to Jordan Boucher and with 3:46 remaining, Giants took a lead they would not hand back through a Scott Conway marker.

In the 3rd, after several good chances to even the count for Spectrum’s men, Giants ensured the result with a 3rd by Mark Cooper at 58:51 and Sam Ruopp’s empty netter 19 seconds out. 

“We had a good 1st period and had some good opportunities not only with the goal, but maybe a couple more to have had a slightly bigger lead,” said Paul Dixon.

“Unfortunately, in the 2nd period, we simply spent far too much time without the puck and far too much time in our own end so it was inevitable that it they were going to score based on the territorial advantage they were holding. In the end, that stretch was really the difference in the game.”

“We pushed back a bit on the 3rd, which was good to see, and had several really good looks to get even, but just couldn’t get one to go before they added more while we were pushing in desperation mode.”

“We get a full week of training in for the first time in a while, so it’s a good chance for us to re-set and get ready for a challenging set of games on the road before we play at home again in mid February.” 

Share this page
Add to favorites

Guildford Spectrum
Parkway, Guildford
Surrey GU1 1UP

Tel: 01483 452244

Sportfact Ltd t/a Guildford Flames Ice Hockey Club registered in England number 2936656
Privacy Policy

Site Powered By
eDirectHost Website Builder

By continuing to use this site you agree to our Cookies Policy.